Monday 10 April 2017

Letter to Hong Kong


Queen's birthday parade,
Kowloon, early 1960s

Letter to Hong Kong
after Letter to N.Y., Elizabeth Bishop                                    

In your next letter I wish you’d stay                  
just as you were, easygoing;
the hills, the beaches, the Malay
curries, growing and unknowing,

sophisticated taxis in glittering light,
downing a Coke float, the bowling ball
striking straight, travelling yards and yards.
No one would ever grow old.

Rows of flame of the forest trees so green,
musical drone on a stave,
and suddenly you’re in a different place
where everything seems to be scathed

by leaving, riots and firecrackers
banned, a price to be paid...


Day 10 of the NaPWriMo challenge, and I'm attempting to chart my views about Hong Kong from my teenage years living there, then the years following when I came across challenges to the dominant colonial political views.

No comments:

Post a Comment